I had the pleasure last week of making about 20 sales calls. On my own. I wasn’t riding with a rep as I frequently do, or modeling sales calls for a rep. I was doing the selling just like I did for eight years before I began managing other sales reps. I was at an event that required me to present our services frequently over a two-day period, and I have to say that I have not had so much fun in years!
I love the art and the science of selling, and have always been a student of the sales process, finding new and better ways to reach and serve customers. But I have spent most of my time over the last fifteen years building and leading sales teams and administering strategic plans and incentive compensation programs– all great and fun things. However, the adrenaline rush that comes from pulling off great sales calls is a lot more exciting!
So, if you are a VP of Sales, or even a Regional VP or Director of Sales, and haven’t made calls on your own in awhile, I highly encourage you to do so, for five reasons:
1. You will remember why you got into sales in the first place.
2. You will gain a better understanding of what your sales reps are up against and how you can help them.
3. You will experience the thrill of performing well under pressure– it’s such a kick!
4. You will help your company grow by making some sales of your own.
5. Most importantly, you will inspire your team to sell more as they see that you’ve got what it takes.
I wish you much success in 2012. Go make some sales calls– you will be so glad that you did!
BioPlus Specialty Pharmacy